Sunday, May 20, 2007

Summer 'o' Camping

Catherine and I have caught the camping bug!!! (Well... I caught the camping bug, and Catherine is excited too). As such, we've made this year's big purchases on camping gear. We have 2 tents (one car-camping tent that's bigger, and pictured is the lighter-weight backpacking tent).
We also purchased 2 backpacks, and 2 down sleeping bags. If you couldn't tell... I am very excited about our purchases.

In order to test out the gear, Catherine and I had our first camping adventure in a somewhat unusual spot. We contemplated building a fire but decided against it in our landlord's behalf.
We decided to get brave and venture beyond our apartment living room and planned a trip with McKay (my twin brother) to Zion National Park. It was a fantastic trip! The weather was perfect, and the hikes we went on were outstanding. We drove down early Friday morning while listenening to Eragon on McKay's iPod. I got a speeding ticket for going 95 mph in a 75 zone :-(. The officer knocked it down to only 15 mph over which saved us about $50. I pay for the ticket today, as well as online traffic school, as well as an online fee to TAKE the course on the internet. I think I learned my lesson.
On Friday, we set up camp, hiked the "Emerald Pools" trail, as well as weeping rock. We made BBQ pork-chop tinfoil dinners that were delicious, and chatted around the fire 'til the sun went down.

McKay and Catherine Setting up Camp. The camp-site was okay, but not ideal. We had TONS of people all around. Little Critter-friends include hundreds of lizards, as well as a mouse or a gopher (we saw it poking its head out of the hole, but couldn't tell which it was).
This is the scenery on our way up the trail to the Emeral Pools.
Adam and Catherine Hiking the Emerald Pools trail.
This picture was specifically taken with my mother in mind. It's too bad the picture doesn't make it look as high as it really is! This is also on the way to the Emerald Pools. Emerald Pools Trail. A guy from Germany took this picture. There were more Europeans on the trails than there were Americans. It was pretty great to meet so many new people. McKay up at the upper Emerald pool. Looks like he's doing some evil plotting.
Adam and Catherine in the upper pool

Entering the Narrows Hike


Catherine Promised her Kindergartners to bring back a treasure from her adventure.
For more pictures, click here.

5 comments:

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Hmm driving school. And I have to say that the camping in the living room is an awesome idea. Preparation never hurt anybody, except that one guy... I'm going up Squaw Peak to hike the trails, play some guitar, with Pamela tomorrow afternoon, should be a blast.

Anonymous said...

More! More! More! . . .

Courtney said...

Are you guys ever going to update this blog?! What have you been up to all summer?

Abs said...

Alright guys, time to update!

Unknown said...

ok its been a few months are you wating to update this site until you go camping again? How are you guys doing? We're doing great check us out :
anonymaas.family@blogspot.com